Aromatherapy is a therapy where essential oils are extracted from the flowers, leaves, bark, roots, stems, seeds, or fruit of a plant. Documented veterinary remedies date back to the 18th century. Essential oils are considered antiseptic, antimicrobial, detoxifying, and rejuvenating.
Aromatherapy is administered in a variety of ways:
- The oils are then either inhaled (from the bottle or a diffuser)
- Diluted in a carrier oil and rubbed into the skin
- Diluted in a spray bottle and sprayed into the air or on the animal
Aromatherapy is one of of the most simple ways to bring healing on an emotional and physical level. Essential oils even have spiritual properties and can heal on a soul level.
Whether you are helping your dog repel fleas and ticks with an aromatherapy spray or you are a professional providing a calm environment for the animals in your care, essential oils can be an essential part of your routine when administered properly.
Because essential oils are considered strong and animals are sensitive, it is important to muscle test to determine if an animal should have aromatherapy:
- If an animal tests strong for aromatherapy, you then should muscle test to determine which oils, the method of delivery, the number of drops of each oil, the frequency and the duration.
- Aromatherapy should NEVER be a one size fits all with animals. This is a common mistake many make and can cause serious consequences.
- Whether you or a ‘professional’ are administering aromatherapy to your animals, please take caution. Sadly, there are too many educators and professionals that are not using essential oils properly. We have seen and heard numerous horror stories. You don’t want your animal to be harmed like too many have been. Be aware this is even happening with a very popular brand of essential oil.
- Consider becoming a student of our Animal Heart & Soul Learning Center and learn all about aromatherapy. Monthly and annual fee options. Click here to learn more about the Animal Heart & Soul Learning Center. The Learning Center also offers online in depth aromatherapy course at a special Learning Center Student price.
- Just want to take the aromatherapy online class at the regular price without being a Learning Center Student? Become a Course Student.
- We carry 3 special 4 oz spray blends for Calming, Focus and Pests. To learn more, click here to see our animal aromatherapy blends.
Sign up for our
Join our complimentary email newsletter to learn more about holistic animal care.